Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pocket Pages--Disney

Last week at Mydigitalstudio.net the challenge was pocket pages.  I was intrigued, but didn't submit an entry.  This week, they have extended the challenge and I took that as a sign that I needed to try this fun way to scrapbook.  You may wonder, "what is a pocket page?" You will probably know them better as Project Life pages which were created by Becky Higgins (I have been a fan since her days at Creating Keepsakes magazine!!)  Basically, she has designed divided scrapbook page protectors with pockets for basic sized photos and then basic sized cards for journaling, embellishing or just as a filler.  I think it's pretty brilliant (plus so simple and quick), but I haven't really tried doing any yet.  I'm not very good at trying new things right away--I have to check things out first (sometimes for a long while!) Anyway, after last weeks MDS blog hop, I watched Erica's video on how she makes pocket cards with MDS and it really got me thinking.  I can set up my own pocket templates and save them on MDS!  I used the standard size 4 x 6 photo size and then halved that for my journaling/filler card and then as I moved them around and found the layout I liked, I selected "File" then "Save Page Photo Layout" and named each page (I think I used "Pocket Page 1,2,3, etc.")  So after having made several templates, I jumped in and made a page for the Mydigitalstudio.net challenge.  I am sooooooooo far behind on my scrapbooking so don't judge, these pics are from 2005!
The thing I like about these pocket pages is that most of it is just drag and drop!  I just added a few punches, stamps and embellishments along with my title and journaling and 'voila', all done! I did create my own Mickey paper in the top left corner, just by copying and pasting circle punches and then saving as a .jpg file. Now, I know some of you are saying, "Hey, what about the edges? Are those going to get cut off when I print it?" If you are getting this printed through Stampin' Up! you have to be very careful about the page bleed area that may be trimmed off during the printing process, but because I saved this as a .jpg file, I can take the whole page and size it to whatever I want! I can do 8 x 8, 12 x 12, or a 5 x 5.  I can add it to a 12 x 12 page and shrink it down to a size that fits inside the bleed area.  My local print shop says they can print within 1/8" of the edge, so I will take my chance on this and see how well it prints--I can always adjust my photo box sizes if needed.  Make sure you go to mydigitalstudio.net and "like" my page or you can always submit your own!!  Challenge ends tomorrow at noon Mountain time.  I think I'll be making a few more of these!!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment