Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sweet Sabbath

Friday was such a sad day for not only our country, but the world.  We live in a world where even innocent little children are not safe from evil and violence.  I cried for the little children that survived and what they witnessed.  How do you explain to little ones something that even adults have a hard time understanding?  I cried for the family and friends who have lost loves ones.  Loss is never easy, but it's even harder to lose someone who seemingly has a whole lifetime ahead of them.  I cried for the teachers who, in complete selflessness, protected their children--some with their own lives.  There really are people like that out there!  Today we have a choice.  We can spend our time being angry about how it happened, wondering why something like this would happen and try to figure out who is going to pay for what happened, or we can pray for or offer help to those who may be suffering and forgive what was done.  I once read a quote "Revenge (or anger, in this case) is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die!"
I know many of my friends have heard the story of my friend, Chris.  He is my earthly example of forgiveness and letting go of the anger and bitterness that can come from tragedy.  His wife, my dear friend Michelle, two of their children and their unborn baby were killed in a drunk driving accident.  Although, Chris had every right to be angry with the young man who caused this accident, he chose instead to forgive him!  I can't imagine the pain he went through, but as he turned it all over to the Lord, his burden was made lighter.  Any little problem that I may encounter (or even big problem) will never compare to what this family has been through and if they can forgive, I certainly can.  Is it easy?  Absolutely not!  But it is what we have been commanded to do!  "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 1 Nephi 3:7  If the Lord gives a commandments, he also give us a way to follow that commandment.
I hope and pray that this story will touch the lives of others.  Even if one person can learn to forgive from this story, the deaths of Michelle, Ben, Anna and William and all those who have died from senseless violence will not have been in vain!
God bless!  Have a wonderful sabbath day!

Julie

Chris Williams has written a book called "Let it Go".  It is a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment